Summer is the hottest season of the year. From March to June, it is the hottest season due to scorching heat. During this time, the summer is spread throughout India with heat wave in the air. Hot winds and bright sun are something that everyone wants to escape from.
People try to chill and relax throughout the summer season. In this article, we will share with you top Indian beverages that will be refreshing for summers.
Photo Courtesy: AajTak
This is a popular drink of India. In North India and Pakistan, it is known as Shikanji. Shikanji/Lemonade is made with Lemon Juice with a combination of ginger juice, ice and water. It also contains ingredients like roasted cumin powder, mint juice and black salt.
Photo Courtesy: BeBeautiful
This is a spicy Indian drink that is used as an appetiser or a drink. It is very famous drink of North India.
Photo Courtesy: Serious Eats
The drink is prepared with yogurt. It is very popular throughout India. It can be flavoured with ginger, mint, curry leaves and cumin powder. Another variation of the drink is mint chaas.
Photo Courtesy: Food Network
This is a very popular western drink. This creamy and tropical drink is great for Caribbean and Hawaiian parties.
Photo Courtesy: Vegetarian Indian Recipes
Cold Coffee is a great beverage for hot summers. This is a sweet, chocolatey and refreshing drink.
Photo Courtesy: Healthdetail.in
The meaning of the word “thandai” is “thanda”, which means “cool”. It is a traditional drink that is prepared in North India and is very popular. It is prepared by mixing spices, dry-fruits and seeds.
Photo Courtesy: Sahtak Awalan
This is a very popular drink that is prepared with mango. The mango that is added should have smooth pulp rather than fibrous.
Photo Courtesy: Knox’s Pub Ennis
This a popular beverage for summer. It is prepared with rose syrup, milk, falooda, sabja seeds, ice cream and dry fruits. Some other types of falooda include kulfi falooda, mango falooda, strawberry falooda and kesar pista falooda.
Photo Courtesy: Madhura’s Recipes
This is a thick mango milk shake with ice cream on the top. Some other mango recipes include mango mousse, mango cheesecake, mango muffins, mango panna cota, mango kulfi and mango ice cream.
Photo Courtesy: BEST OF DRINKS
Pomegranate juice is a very healthy juice. It is easy to prepare and is refreshing during summers.
Photo Courtesy: Maps of India
This smooth and creamy beverage is very popular in Gujarat and Maharashtra. It is similar to lassi but is creamier, thicker and sweeter.
Photo Courtesy: HungryForever
This is a very cooling drink. It is an excellent summer drink. The drink also helps in purification of blood and improves digestion.
India is full of veggies, herbs and fruits. Many of these are uniquely found in particular region or area. Therefore, there is a special drink for each region of India. For eg. In Bihar, sattu(barley flour + roasted chickpea) are consumed in summers.
In Western and South India, coconuts are available easily and thus, summer heat is easily beaten with coconut water.
Here are some summer drinks made in homes of India:-
- Nimbu Pani(Indian Lemonade): The most consumed and cheapest drink of India, Nimbu Pani is the most common drink of India. You can make it more flavorful by adding mint juice, black salt, roasted cumin powder and black salt. You can make it sweet(shikanji) or consume a salty version of it. Here’s the recipe: http://bit.ly/2p0TyNZ
- Coconut Water: Fresh Coconut water is a blessing in disguise for those whom it is easily available. It is healthiest option for beating the heat of summer. Here’s the recipe of coconut water with Mango Lassi: http://bit.ly/2p18V98
- Jaljeera: This is a spicy Indian drink that is consumed as appetiser or drink. It is very famous North Indian drink. Here’s the recipe: http://bit.ly/2p2N7H0
- Sweet Lassi: This yogurt is a famous North Indian drink. You can either make it salty or sweet. It can be flavored with rose water, saffron and cardamom powder. Some other variations of lassi include mango lassi, fruit lassi, papaya lassi, salty lassi, strawberry lassi and masala lassi. Here’s the recipe: http://bit.ly/2o3bTWM
- Buttermilk(Chaas): Buttermilk is made with the help of yogurt. It is very popular in entire India. It can be flavoured with ginger, mint, curry leaves and cumin. Oil tempering can also be done with spices and herbs. Here’s the recipe: http://bit.ly/2ovd7NH
- Rooh Afza: This is a healthy syrup scented with sweet rose. It is made of vegetables, herbs, roots and fresh fruits. It can be added to kulfi, milk, ice cream and falooda. Here’s the recipe: http://bit.ly/2ommHQB
- Aam Ka Panna: It is prepared with mangoes. It helps in keeping the body cool and preventing it from heat stroke. Raw mangoes are a great source of iron and vitamin c. Here’s the recipe: http://bit.ly/2p13XZS
- Piyush: This is a popular beverage of Maharashtra and Gujarat. It is very creamy and smooth. Piyush is similar to lassi but is thicker, creamy and sweeter. Here’s the recipe: http://bit.ly/2pp5iq7
- Thandai: This traditional drink is very popular in North India. It is prepared with dry fruits, spices and seeds. Here’s the recipe: http://bit.ly/2pp5tBN
- Sattu: This is a healthy summer drink, prepared with roasted gram flour. This roasted black chickpea flour is also known as chane ka sattu. Here’s the recipe: http://bit.ly/2omsdD7