One of the most important meal in a day is breakfast. Some people tend to skip the breakfast due to shortage of time. But one should never miss this meal. In India, the breakfast is different for different states because of varying cuisines. For eg. In South India, uttapam, dosa and idli are popular. While in North India, there are different varieties of parathas that are popular.
Some people want simple breakfasts like toasts and eggs(omelette/scrambled). If you are a vegetarian, you can make paneer bhurji, tofu or besan chilla that goes well with toast. Another popular breakfast is aloo poori. There can be different ways of making aloo sabzi.
In this blog post, we share with you some of the best breakfast recipes:-
Photo Courtesy: Abu Dhabi
Upma is a south Indian dish that is prepared with rava. Rava is also known as sooji(cream of wheat). Upma is normally served with coconut chutney, lemon pickle and lime slices. It can also be served plain. Some different kinds of Upma include Tomato Upma, Oats Upma, Idli Upma, Poha Upma, Bread Upma.
Photo Courtesy: Cooking From Heart
This is a very easy dosa recipe that is prepared with rice flour, semolina, flour and onions. It is a great option for breakfast. It is usually served with sambhar and coconut chutney. Besides rava dosa, some different types of dosas include Masala Dosa, Oats Dosa, Benne Dosa, Cheese Dosa, Neer Dosa, Sada Dosa.
Photo Courtesy: Indobase
This is a traditional breakfast that is prepared in every South Indian home. It is a very healthy and delicious breakfast. It is usually served with coconut chutney and sambhar. Some popular kinds of idli include Kanchipuram Idli, Ragi Idli, Poha Idli, Oats Idli.
Photo Courtesy: Delhi Live London
This is a very popular breakfast of India. It is stuffed with spiced potato. Of all the paratha recipes, the best one is aloo paratha. It is best served with curd, pickle, butter or dal makhani. Some popular punjabi parathas include Paneer Paratha, Methi Thepla, Onion Paratha
Photo Courtesy: Vahrehvah
This is a very popular Maharashtrian breakfast. It is prepared with flattened rice or beaten rice. The dish can be prepared easily and is very healthy. Some different kinds of poha include Onion Poha, Indori Poha, Potato Onion Poha, Vegetable Poha
Photo Courtesy: Veg Recipes of India
This delicious North Indian recipe is prepared with crumbled paneer. The meaning of bhurji is scrambled. Some other types of bhurji recipes include palak paneer bhurji, matar paneer bhurji, mooli ki bhurji, tofu bhurji and paneer bhurji gravy. Some other paneer dishes include Paneer Tikka, Paneer Khurchan, Tawa Paneer Masala, Kadai Paneer, Paneer Do Pyaza, Paneer Butter Masala
Photo Courtesy: Boldsky Hindi
This Maharashtrian breakfast is very popular. The dish is prepared with sprouts and is topped with tomatoes, onions, farsan and lemon juice. It is served with pav. It is a very delicious and nutritious dish. The pav(buns) are prepared with wheat flour. Other popular Maharashtrian dishes include Thalipeeth, Vada Pav, Poori Bhaji, Sabudana Vada, Sabudana Khichdi.
Photo Courtesy: Rak’s Kitchen
This is a popular flat bread that is prepared from gram flour, whole wheat flour and fenugreek leaves. It can be had anytime of the day. Some popular thepla variations include Mooli Thepla, Lauki Thepla
Photo Courtesy: LifeStyleHindi
This is a delicious dish that contains poori and potato curry. It is very popular throughout India. There are many variations available in different regions. In Maharashtra, it is known as Poori Bhaji. The South Indian version is known as poori masala. Some popular chole curries that you can eat poori with include Punjabi Chole Masala, Aloo Chole, Amritsari Chole, Sukhe Chole, Peshawari Chole, Spicy Chana Masala
Photo Courtesy: Apna Food TV
These are flaky kachoris that are prepared with stuffing of spiced moong lentil. Once prepared, these can be stored for days in the fridge. Kachoris are best consumed with tamarind chutney, red chili garlic chutney/green chutney. These can also be had with aloo rasedar and dubki wale aloo. Some of the delicious kachori recipes include Matar Kachori, Urad Dal Kachori, Bengali Style Matar Kachori.
Upma is a popular recipe of South India. It can be prepared fast and easily. No cooking experiences needed to cook this recipe. People who are new to cooking can easily prepare this dish. Different kinds of upma recipes are available. The most popular one is the one made with rava(sooji/wheat cream). But upma can be prepared with many ingredients like oats, bread, idli, oats, millets, broken rice, poha and tender jowar(hurda).
To make poha more nutritious, people add a number of vegetables like green peas, capsicum and carrots. Besides veggies, cashews and roasted peanuts can be added to it.
In this blog post, you will find many upma recipes.
- Rava UpmaThis is a traditional breakfast dish of south india. It is prepared from rava, which is also known as sooji(in hindi). Upma is best served with coconut chutney, lemon pickle or lemon slices. Here’s the recipe: http://bit.ly/2qdFVe9
- Tomato UpmaThis is a tasty and tangy recipe prepared with tomatoes and spices. The tangy tomatoes adds to the flavor of the recipes. Here’s the recipe: http://bit.ly/2puUECw
- Idli UpmaThis recipe can be made with leftover idlis. Using this recipe, you can make quick breakfast using leftover idlis. Some of the recipes that can be prepared are idli chaat, masala idli, idli fry and chilli idli. Here’s the recipe: http://bit.ly/2pIAws1
- Oats UpmaThis is an easy, delicious and healthy recipe of oats upma prepared with mixed veg and oats. Other oats recipes that you can try are oats uttapam, oats idli, oats chilla, oats dosa and oats khichdi. Here’s the recipe: http://bit.ly/2pIJQfW
- Bread UpmaThis is a quick, tasty and easy upma prepared with bread. Fresh bread slices or old bread can be used to prepare this upma. You can use any bread including brown, white, multigrain or whole wheat bread. Here’s the recipe: http://bit.ly/2pIxvIT
- Mtr Style Khara BhathThis is a delicious, soft and smooth dish. It is made of mixed vegetables. It is best served with coconut chutney and lemon wedges. It can also be a great recipe for your tiffin.
- Seviyan Upma RecipeSeviyan(Vermicelli) upma is a popular south indian recipe of upma. Seviyan are prepared from maida or wheat flour or rice flour. The seviyan made from rice flour or wheat flour are better than that of maida. Here’s the recipe: http://bit.ly/2pIhkeE
- Rice Sevai Upma RecipeThis is an easy to prepare upma recipe. It can be prepared with rice sevai or rice vermicelli. No need to add vegetables when short of time. To make the dish more healthy, you can add beans, cabbage, peas and carrot.
- Rice Rava UpmaThis recipe of upma is prepared with broken raw rice. Akki tari uppittu is another name for this dish. The meaning of akki-tari is broken rice. This dish is traditional, authentic, delicious and easy to prepare.
- Quinoa Upma RecipeThis is a very easy and quick recipe of veg quinoa upma. Quinoa is also known as a super food and is a good protein source. It is good for vegans and vegetarians alike. It is also rich in Phosphorus, Manganese and iron. Here’s the recipe: http://bit.ly/2pIJ1nJ
- Veg Seviyan Upma RecipeThis is a healthy breakfast dish prepared with rice seviyan(vermicelli), spice herbs and mix veggies. Here’s the recipe: http://bit.ly/2pIRGq4
- Microwave Upma RecipeThis upma can be prepared fast as compared to other traditional ways of cooking. Here’s the recipe: http://bit.ly/2pvhvxG
Breakfast is the most important meal of a person. But sometimes we tend to skip it due to a shortage of time. But it is better not to skip this healthy meal.
Each state of India has its unique cuisine and that is the reason why breakfast recipes vary with each state. In this post, we share with you top recipes for breakfast that are popular with readers.
Here are top 10 recipes for breakfast:-
- Rava Upma: Upma is a traditional South Indian dish that is made from rava. The other names of rava are sooji in Hindi and cream of wheat in English. Upma is normally served with lime slices, lime pickle and coconut chutney. There are many kinds of upma including oats upma, bread upma and tomato upma.
- Idli: Idli is a traditional breakfast that is prepared in every household of India. Idli is available in many variants including rava idli, poha idli, oats idli and ragi idli. Idli is normally served with sambar and chutney.
- Aloo Paratha: Aloo paratha is a popular breakfast of India. It is a whole wheat bread filled with potato stuffing. The most famous of all the paratha recipes is aloo paratha. You can also try onion paratha, paneer paratha, dhaba style aloo paratha and methi thepla. Parathas are best served with curd, pickle or butter.
- Poha: This is a popular dish for breakfast that is made with beaten or flattened rice. Its an easy, quick and healthy dish.
- Appam: Appam is a very popular dish of South India. It is very easy to make. As yeast is used, the batter should not be fermented too long. The dish is best served with coconut milk and coconut stew.
- Pongal: This is a popular breakfast of South India prepared with yellow moong and rice. There are many variations of this recipe. Many times, we also add grated coconut. You can also add chopped vegetables resulting in mix veg pongal.
- Misal Pav : This is a popular breakfast of Maharashtra made with Usal. It is topped with tomatoes, onions, farsan and lemon juice. It is served with pav.
- Veg Grilled Sandwich: This vegetable sandwich is spiced with cilantro and is perfectly grilled. Sandwiches are quick and easy to make. You can use whole wheat bread if you are conscious about health.
- Besan Cheela: This is a delicious pancake that is made with spices, herbs and gram flour. You can add grated vegetables to increase the nutrition of the dish. Try the Oats Cheela and Rava Chila recipe.