Rajasthani Cuisine Special: Laal Maas Jaipur Recipe.
Rajasthani Laal Maas is a mutton curry from Rajasthan. Laal maas jaipur is very hot and deep red in color. It is a slow-cooked hunter style meat dish having rustic flavors, garlic, chilli heat and cooked with whole spices.
The dish gets its name from the color it gets because of red Mathania chillies. Lal Maas was traditionally prepared with deer or wild boar, so these chillies hid the stinky odour of the meat. But as of today, the dish is prepared with mutton and Mathania chillies.
In the 1987 movie Mirch Masala, starring Naseeruddin Shah and Smita Patil, you must have seen chillies laid in red glory. These are mathania chillies that have been cultivated traditionally in a village called Mathania, which is located 33 km from Jodhpur airport. They were used in the past to color the malmal which is produced locally. Due to the dropping groundwater levels, Mathania chilli production has declined sharply and the malmal factory was shut down years ago.
Laal Maas is a signature dish of Jaipur, Rajasthan.
A genuine Lal Maas also makes use of mustard oil and has a smoky flavor. When the dish is prepared, a cup with a burning piece of charcoal filled with cloves and desi ghee is placed on top while preparation and the utensil is sealed.
The smoke that comes from burning charcoal, have the fragrance of the aromas of cloves and desi ghee.
Kachari, a type of Rajasthani cucumber was used traditionally to marinate the meat but it is not available easily so it is better if the dish is cooked in a pressure cooker so that it is well cooked.
Although the dish is very spicy, it is very delicious. The Laal Maas that you get in restaurants nowadays is not even close to what you got in Royal kitchens. This laal maas jaipur recipe famous all over India.
It takes a lot of effort and the right proportion of ingredients to prepare the dish. Earlier, the mutton and spices were cooked in low fire until it became succulent and fell off the bones but nowadays it can be prepared in a pressure cooker and it turns out to be fine.
Sometimes whole garlic cloves are used to prepare the recipe. And the dish tastes delicious. One can add 10-15 whole peeled garlic cloves in the recipe.
If you like to explore various cuisines around the world, you must try Laal Maas.
Visit these famous Jaipur restaurants, Who serves Laal Maas jaipur recipe.
- Grand Uniara Hotel, JLN Marg
- Handi, MI Road
- Hotel Rajchidiya, Ajmer Road
- 1135 AD
- Chawla’s Restaurant at Shree Gopal Towers, Krishna Marg in Jaipur.
- Talk Of The Town, MI Road in Jaipur
- Spice Court, Civil Lines.
- NIROS, Panch Batti MI Road
- MM Khan, Johari Bazar.
- Baluchi-The LaLiT Jaipur, Jagatpura Road, Jaipur.
Rajasthan Special: Laal Maas Jaipur Recipe.
Laal Maas Recipe
- 500 grms Lamb cut into 2" cubes
- 100 grms Onion chopped
- 10 grms Coriander Leaves Chopped
- 1/2 tbsp Garam Masala
- 3 tbsp Onion Paste
- 2 tbsp Coriander seeds grounded
- 100 grms Curd
- 10-15 Red chillies
- 2 tbsp Garlic paste
- 100 grms Oil
- 4 Green cardamon
- Salt to taste
- Water as required
- Mix all the ingredients of the marinade in a bowl.
- Add the lamb pieces and leave it aside for 15 minutes.
- Now heat oil in a pan.
- Add onions and fry till they turn light brown.
- Keep aside a little of the brown onions to use for garnish.
- Add lamb mixture and cook it until oil gets separated from the mixture.
- Boil a little water in a pan and add garlic paste to it.
- Simmer the dish until lamb is cooked.
- Add more water if needed.
- Sprinkle garam masala and chopped coriander leaves.
- Laal Maas is ready.